The Stitchless Mini Bag is the perfect small cross body bag. This bag is constructed entirely by weaving the leather pieces together and fixing a few, strategically-placed rivets for strength. No sewing machines or hand stitching is involved.
Dimensions of finished bag
15cm (6”) wide by 4cm (1.5”) deep by 19cm (7.5”) high
The strap is adjustable with a buckle and measures 95cm (37”) at shortest/130cm (51”) at longest.
The pattern is also available in paper format here.
You can choose to buy the straps pre-cut and finished to the correct size and all the metal hardware needed.
You will need
• You will need approximately 0.2m² / 1.5 feet² of thick yet supple leather for the front and back of the bag (1.2mm to 1.6mm thickness / 3 to 4 oz is perfect).
- You will also need 2 lengths of similar thickness leather for the straps and weaving pieces (about 1.3m by 4cm / 52” by 2”).
- The thickness and how supple or rigid the leather is will greatly impact the final form of your bag.
• 1 x buckle measuring 1.5cm/0.6” wide.
• 1 x Sam Browne fitting.
• 5 (plus extra for practising) x 6mm / 0.2” double capped rivets (the length of the rivets will depend on the thickness of your leather - test out on scrap leather to ensure a snug fit).
These items are essential
• 1 x sharp craft knife, stanley knife or scalpel. Fresh blades will make cutting the leather much easier.
• 1 x leather workers awl
• 1 x metal ruler.
• 1 x 14mm/0.55” oblong hole punch.
• 1 x 2mm/0.07” round hole punch.
• 1 x 5mm/0.2” round hole punch.
• 1 x rivet setting tool that fits the cap of your rivets.
• 1 x hammer/mallet
• 1 x old plastic chopping board or cutting mat.
• work on a sturdy surface for cutting and hole
This is a nice to have item!
• 1 x strap end punch (2cm/0.8” width).