This is an intensive 2 day master class in bag design and construction. On the first day, you will select a bag you would like to make from a wide choice of designs or come prepared with a sketch or photo of the bag you would like to make. We will begin by learning basic pattern cutting and making a paper mock up of your chosen style. You will then select your leather (you are welcome to bring your own leather, please get in touch with me about this) and cut the pattern pieces. On the second day, the leather will then be skived and glued and any pockets, zips, handles, fastenings and other fittings secured before the bag is sewn up using either an industrial leather machine or a semi-industrial sewing machine.
On this course you will learn how to -
- identify the main types of bag construction
- about different leather and properties and appropriateness for use
- how to cut a basic pattern and make a paper mock up of your bag
- use a variety of industrial leather machines
- use a variety of traditional manual leather tools
- how to glue leather and fit fastenings and other fittings prior to sewing
- how to stitch leather - different types and sizes of needles and thread and how to operate industrial and semi-industrial sewing machines.
- how to fit zips and pockets and a lining for your bag